EDMONTON—In a sign of the tough economic times facing Alberta, the auction house Ritchie Bros. has reported that its first auction of construction and other equipment held in Edmonton Feb. 24 to 26 attracted 2,700 more items than last February.
It was Ritchie Bros.’ first Canadian auction of the year. The three-day unreserved public auction attracted over 13,100 bidders from 47 countries, 50 per cent more than the same auction last year, indicates a media release.
Ritchie Bros. sold more than 7,300 items in the auction for receipts of over $120 million, making it the company’s largest February auction ever in Edmonton.
Out-of-province buyers purchased $69 million of equipment (58 per cent), including $21 million sold to out-of-country buyers (17 per cent).
There were more than 4,900 onsite bidders and Alberta buyers purchased 42 per cent of the equipment in the auction.
With the strength of the U.S. dollar, American bidders registered in record numbers.
The auction attracted 66 per cent more U.S. bidders than the same auction last February.
Close to 700 companies sold equipment in the auction, including Netook Construction Ltd., which sold approximately 40 items.
The Olds, Alta.-based company does remediation, reclamation, lease construction and road construction work in Central Alberta.
Sale highlights included:
• Five 2014 John Deere 410E 6×6 articulated dump trucks sold for a combined $1.96 million
• Three John Deere 753J feller bunchers sold for a combined $810,000
• Two Tadano TR800XXL4 80-ton 4x4x4 rough terrain cranes sold for a combined $625,000
• Two Caterpillar 777F rock trucks sold for a combined $600,000
• Two 2015 Peterbilt 367 T/A sleeper semi vacuum trucks sold for a combined $560,000
• A 2013 Caterpillar 950K wheel loader sold for $240,000
• A 2012 John Deere 872G motor grader sold for $267,500
• A 2014 Komatsu D65PX-17 crawler tractor sold for $262,500
• A 2014 Caterpillar 336EL hydraulic excavator sold for $250,000.
Ritchie Bros. is the world’s largest seller of used equipment for the construction, transportation, agriculture, material handling, energy, mining, forestry, marine and other industries.