TORONTO — The Government of Ontario is investing an additional $3.5 million in Skills Ontario for the 2020-2021 school year to help the organization continue to promote the skilled trades, in addition to the $1.5 million in new funding the government provided earlier this year to support outreach and promotion.
Minister of Labour, Training and Skills Development of Ontario Monte McNaughton made the announcement at the Skills Ontario Virtual Skills Summit held June 30. The additional funding will go towards reaching youth, educators and parents to present the skilled trades as viable, first-choice career options.
“As Ontario carefully reopens, the skilled trades are an essential part of the recovery and future of our economy,” said McNaughton in a statement. “We need to continue to promote the skilled trades to young people to give them access to jobs that are fulfilling, meaningful and well-paid, and to keep the many industries that depend on skilled trades thriving. Skills Ontario does this very well.”
“Our objective is to connect education, experience and employment for youth so that they can be aware of, explore and pursue the incredible opportunities in the skilled trades and technologies,” said Ian Howcroft, CEO of Skills Ontario. “We are grateful for the increased support from the Ontario government, and look forward to continuing to deliver programs to help strengthen our economy and secure our future. The pandemic has underscored the importance of skills and technology careers, and they will help lead us out of our economic challenges.”