A group of engineers that includes Peter Halsall, president and CEO of Halsall Associates, has been inducted into the Canadian Academy of Engineering. Other inductees include John M. Beck of Aecon, Dennis Becker of Golder Associates, John Bianchini of Hatch Ltd., Anton Davies of Rowan Williams Davies, Henry Edamura of MMM Group Ltd., Tibor Kokai and Anchor Shoring and Caissons Ltd. ’s Dawn Tattle.
A group of engineers that includes Peter Halsall, president and CEO of Halsall Associates, has been inducted into the Canadian Academy of Engineering.
Honorary fellowships are bestowed in recognition of distinguished achievements and career-long service to the engineering profession.
As president of Halsall Associates, one of Canada’s leading engineering companies and a leader in providing green building services, Halsall is credited with leading the charge to integrate sustainability into Canada’s urban realm, while inspiring countless colleagues, clients and communities to “do the right thing.”
During his career, Halsall has advised government agencies and planners, managed the integrated design process for buildings and communities and provided compliance services for green certification programs.
His service on the Waterfront Toronto and City of Toronto design review panels, as well as his firm’s signature works — from green building projects to planning input for eco-villages and net-zero carbon communities — are “a testament to his ability to envision a better future and to engage others in making it a reality.”
Halsall was one of 45 new fellows inducted into the academy in conjunction with the organization’s recent 2011 annual general meeting in Vancouver. The academy is a national institution through which Canada’s “most distinguished and experienced” engineers provide strategic advice on matters of critical importance to Canada.
Other inductees from the consulting engineering and contracting communities included:
• John M. Beck: The chair and CEO of Aecon Group Inc. has led the growth over a 45-year span of what is now the largest Canadian publicly traded construction and infrastructure development company, Beck has also led development of large-scale infrastructure projects in Canada and exported engineering expertise internationally for projects such as the Cross Israel Highway and the Quito lnternational Airport.
• Dennis E. Becker: Leader of the international ground engineering group in Golder Associates, Becker has made distinguished contributions to geotechnical engineering practice, the profession and scholarship. Major projects include the foundation design for the Confederation Bridge.
• Giovanni (John) Bianchini. Global managing director of Hatch Ltd.’s metals division, Bianchini has applied “reat skill and effort” to expand the scope and volume of Hatch Ltd.’s mining and metals business throughout the world.
• Anton Davies: Vice-president and co-founder of Rowan Williams Davies and Irwin Inc., Davies is considered a renowned scientist and engineer in the fields of wind engineering, air quality and sustainable design. As one of the principals in charge of the firm’s wind engineering and sustainability teams, Davies has directed many of the firm’s major projects.
• Henry N. Edamura: Since graduating from the University of Toronto, Edamura has spent his professional career with engineering firm MMM Group Ltd. where he established himself as an expert in project and design management of airports.
• Tibor Kokai: One of the foremost structural engineers practising from Canada, Kokai has been in charge of the structural design of a number of unique structures as well as an innovator in earthquake-resistant structures.
• Dawn Tattle: President of Anchor Shoring & Caissons Ltd., a firm which specializes in innovative soil retention and engineered foundation solutions, Tattle provides leadership and creative engineering solutions on high-profile, complex projects. She also is committed to increasing the representation of women in engineering, serving as a role-model and mentor to young women considering or establishing careers in this field.