VICTORIA, B.C. — The British Columbia Construction Association (BCCA) is starting the sixth annual Construction and Skilled Trades Month in British Columbia with three different sets of awards.
The awards recognize excellence in the areas of public sector procurement, culture change and leadership.
“The construction industry is going full steam in an extremely challenging economic environment. Every day they build the housing, schools and hospitals that British Columbians rely on. They’re dedicated, but they’re not invincible. Construction Month is how we showcase the industry and recognize its contribution to our economy and society,” BCCA president Chris Atchison said in a statement.
The Builders Code, a standard code of conduct for workers on sites in B.C., spearheaded by BCCA is recognizing five employers with Builders Code Champion Awards for “leading the way in advancing the culture of B.C.’s industrial, commercial and institutional construction sector,” a release stated.
The companies recognized are:
- Island Red Cedar Construction (Nanaimo) – Small Contractor of the Year
- Lacey Construction (Deroche) – Community Champion
- Houle Electric (Burnaby) – Contractor of the Year – and Workplace Culture Champion – (Large Company Category)
- Kinetic Construction (Victoria) – Recruiting and Hiring Champion
- RAM Consulting (Vancouver) – Workplace Culture Champion – (Medium Company Category)
BCCA also recognized public sector procurement, recognizing three companies:
- Fraser Health, Provincial Health Services Authority, and Vancouver Coastal Health – Facilities Management Procurement Team
- City of Victoria – Supply Management Services
- BC Ministry of Citizen Services – Procurement Services
The BCCA will also present awards for leadership in apprenticeship and community building at a gala dinner in Victoria and the winners of the 2023 Leadership Award are:
- Wayne Farey, Campbell Construction (Victoria)
- Ryan Thran, Knappett Projects (Comox)
- Julia Murrell, Kindred Construction (Vancouver)
- Tyler Cameron, Acadia Mechanical (Terrace)
More information on the awards and other construction month events is available at constructionmonth.ca.