CAMPBELL RIVER, B.C. — Seismic upgrades have been completed on Campbell River’s two-lane truss bridge.
The bridge, built in 1952, connects the City of Campbell River with the North Island Highway, also known as Highway 19.
The $2.9-million project entailed installing new seismic bearings, replacing deck joints, recoating structural components and repairing structural steel and concrete.
The bridge was changed to a one-way southbound-only crossing in 1998 after the adjacent Tamarac Street bridge opened to carry northbound vehicles. Previous repairs included modifying the bracing for additional overhead clearance in 1976 and resurfacing the deck in 1980.
The province stated that the bridge now meets modern seismic standards in order to be prepared for a one-in-2,000-year earthquake.