CARPINTERIA, CALIF.—Bird Design-Build Construction Inc. and ETRO Construction have won Groundbreaker awards from Procore Technologies.
Bird won in the General Contractor Project Excellence category for construction of a 94,000-square-foot pea and canola production plant in Winnipeg, Man. which was completed in 18 months on Dec. 31, 2020 and included a processing plant, warehouse, office and its own electrical substation. Bird provided in-house design services, virtual design and construction.
Burnaby-based ETRO Construction won in the Excellence in Innovation category for the ETRO milestone tracker (EMT) it created in-house to monitor crucial parts of projects and keep them on schedule. The EMT updated milestones in real time with a dashboard for use by contractors, clients and subcontractors.
“Behind every successful project, there are great people. The Groundbreaker Awards celebrate how our customers embody the highest standards of our industry on a daily basis. Congratulations to all of the winners of the Groundbreaker Awards,” Procore founder and CEO Tooey Courtemanche said in a statement.
Twenty four companies and projects were selected as finalists and winners were announced on Oct. 13 during a virtual awards ceremony at Procore’s annual industry event, Groundbreak. The event featured special guest Jay Leno who presented the Groundbreaker of the Year Award and was hosted by Procore leadership Brad Cooper, vice-president, international customer success, and Carrie Griffiths, senior director, customer success. A full list of winners follows below.
- Excellence in Sustainability: Skanska USA
- Excellence in Innovation: ETRO Construction
- Excellence in Safety: Mono Constructions
- Excellence in Community: AppHarvest
- Groundbreaker of the Year: Tiffanie Artigas, manager of construction technology, Verdex Construction
- General Contractor Project Excellence: Merit Functional Foods Pea and Canola Processing Plant, Bird Design-Build Construction Inc.
- Specialty Contractor Project Excellence: The Wynn Hospital, John W. Danforth Company
- Owner Project Excellence: Grand Hotel: Esther Williams Swimming Pool and Pool House, Davidson Hospitality