Skip to Content
View site list

Profile

Projects

Heritage Toronto to honour best conservation, craftsmanship efforts

DCN News Service
Heritage Toronto to honour best conservation, craftsmanship efforts

TORONTO—A sanctuary, a seminary and a centre for spiritual development are among 16 nominees announced by Heritage Toronto in its conservation and craftsmanship category as the organization gears up for its annual Heritage Toronto Awards night.

The William Greer Architectural Conservation and Craftsmanship category, one of five, honours property owners who have undertaken projects to restore or adapt structures that have been in existence for 40 years or more or are included in the City of Toronto’s Inventory of Heritage Properties.

Projects are judged on the quality of craftsmanship, appropriateness of materials and the use of sound conservation principles.

The jury also considers how well the project meets current needs while maintaining the integrity of the original design vision, according to criteria released by Heritage Toronto.

The awards will be presented at Koerner Hall on Oct. 13.

Sanctuary, Trinity-St. Paul’s United Church

Architectural/Design Firm: ERA Architects Inc.

Craftsperson/Contractor: Clifford Restoration Ltd.; S.W.S. Engineering Inc.; Anne Minor Performance Consultants; Sound Space Design.

Trinity-St. Paul’s building was erected in 1889. Project included upgrades to accessibility, stage size and acoustics in the Sanctuary, part of a multi-phase project to better support multiple uses of the building.

St. Augustine’s Seminary of Toronto

Architectural/Design Firms: Bogdan Newman Caranci Inc.; Philip Goldsmith Architect

Craftspersons/Contractors: Roof Tile Management Inc.; Read Jones Christoffersen Ltd.

Seminary built around 1913 in the Beaux-Arts style. Project involved replacing some original materials, such as cast stone decorative pieces, work on the Seminary’s main entrance and installing new metalwork on the dome.

Toronto Bell Cote, Sukyo Mahikari Centre for Spiritual Development

Architectural/Design Firms: Takashi Tsuji Architect, William N. Greer

Craftspersons/Contractors: Heritage Mills Historic Building Conservation Inc.; Sonterlan Corp.; EGD Glass Studio.

Thought to be the only wood-framed church in Toronto, this 1895 building was restored and repurposed for the Sukyo Mahikari Centre for Spiritual Development with a new foundation and basement, steel framing, wood restoration.

Jean Tweed Centre, Cumberland House

Architectural/Design Firm: Thomas Brown Architects Inc.

Craftsperson/Contractor: Clifford Restoration.

Rehabilitation of masonry, chimney and other exterior features of Cumberland House, a Queen Anne-style residence built in the late 19th century.

Bronze Entranceway, 21 Dundas Square.

Architectural/Design Firm: ERA Architects Inc.

Craftspersons/Contractors: Clifford Restoration Ltd.; Heather and Little Ltd.; Stanley Doors.

Part of the rehabilitation of the Hermant Building, project recreated the bronze doors and entranceway that had been installed around 1935 but later lost.

Apartment Building,

100 Spadina Road.

Architectural/Design Firm: ERA Architects Inc.

Craftspersons/Contractors: Ontech Building Consultants Inc.; Brook Restoration.

Restoration of exterior appearance of 1969 heritage-designated building designed by Modernist architect Uno Prii included repairing structural integrity of the balconies and replacing balcony railings.

Munk School of Global Affairs

Architectural/Design Firms: KPMB Architects; ERA Architects Inc.

Craftspersons/Contractors: Crossey Engineering; Blackwell Bowick Partnership Ltd.

Adaptive reuse of 1909 Dominion Meteorological Building and adjacent Transit House to create expanded facilities for Munk School. Included restoration of interior and exterior masonry, repair of original windows and restoration of staircase.

CNR Office Building

Architectural/Design Firms: architectsAlliance; ERA Architects Inc.

Craftspersons/Contractors: EllisDon Ledcor PAAV Inc.; Trow Associates.

Former CNR office, built in 1923, is one of two original buildings that will serve as a gateway to new Canary District being developed in the West Don Lands. Exterior restored and interior transformed into two-storey gallery, restaurant/event space.

Artscape Youngplace

Architectural/Design Firms: Teeple Architects Inc.; Goldsmith Borgal & Company Ltd.

Craftsperson/Contractor: Clifford Restoration Ltd.; CPE Structural Consultants Ltd.

Givins-Shaw Street Public School (1914) was transformed into a community arts and culture facility, with studios and exhibition space. Restoration and stabilization of sandstone cornices and window sills, installation of replica windows, stabilization of structural steel columns;  preservation of grand central staircase.

60 Atlantic Avenue

Architectural/Design Firms: Quadrangle Architects Ltd.; Philip Goldsmith Architect

Craftspersons/Contractors: Read Jones Christoffersen Ltd.; First Gulf.

1890s industrial warehouse rehabilitated, maintaining heritage features such as brick walls, beams and original entrance.  Interior was retrofitted, corten steel and glass addition.

Little Trinity Church Annex

Architectural/Design Firms: DTAH Architects Ltd.; ERA Architects Inc.

Craftsperson/Contractor: Historic Restoration Inc.

Redevelopment of a row of derelict Georgian-style townhouses into a new administrative and meeting space for church community. Mid-19th-century façades on King Street were restored, back of property replaced with new two-storey volume that maintained original roof-line and east gable.

The Aperture Room, Thornton-Smith Building

Architectural/Design Firms: George Robb Architects, Straticom Planning Associates

Craftspersons/Contractors: Blackwell Engineering; Artistic Skylight Domes Ltd.; Roof Tile Management Inc.; Townley Masonry

Three-storey commercial building designed by John Lyle in 1922;  project created Aperture Room, an event venue on the third floor that retains many of the heritage elements of the building, including interior brick and original skylight.

Landing Stage, Ward’s Island.

Architectural/Design Firm: Steven Burgess Architects

Craftsperson/Contractor: Clifford Restoration Ltd.

Landing Stage, erected in early 1900s, was a shelter for passengers awaiting cruise boats. When Ward’s Island community decided to create a public square in partnership with Toronto Parks, Forestry and Recreation, Landing Stage was recreated using restored surviving wrought iron and replica pieces.

49 Weybourne Crescent, Private Residence.

Architectural/Design Firm: Murakami Design

Craftsperson: The Arceo Group Inc.

Arts and Crafts residence circa 1922, considerable renovations to restore the fabric of this house. Addition of front porch and single-storey rear extension.

10 McKenzie Avenue,

Private Residence.

Architectural/Design Firm: gh3

Craftsperson: Wilson Contract Management; Pierre Morin Fenêtres MQ

Project aimed to modernize interior of 1908 Rosedale residence while preserving character of exterior and streetscape. Restoration of leaded glass windows, wooden window sills and architraves, refurbishment of window hardware.

17 Berryman Street,

Private Residence.

Architectural/Design Firms: Climan Green Liang Architects Inc.; Joan Burt Architect.

Detached two-storey Victorian house located in Yorkville-Hazelton Heritage Conservation District;  front façade of house restored, interior modernized.

Recent Comments

comments for this post are closed

You might also like