OTTAWA — Ray Bassett is the new chair of the 2021-22 Canadian Construction Association (CCA) board of directors.
Bassett, who was named chair at the association’s annual general meeting recently, is taking over the role from outgoing chair Joe Wrobel.
Bassett is the vice-president and chief underwriting officer at Travelers Insurance Company of Canada. With 37 years experience in the construction surety industry, Bassett is focused on improving collaboration and value among stakeholders, including public and private project owners, the construction and project finance lending community, financial ratings agencies, consultants, the construction law bar and the surety industry, indicates a CCA release.
Bassett joined the CCA board of directors in 2010 and has chaired the Manufacturers, Suppliers and Services Council and an executive committee on federal prompt payment which was instrumental in having industry concerns and recommendations addressed in the federal Prompt Payment for Construction Work Act, adds the release.
“(We need) a long-term federal infrastructure plan that is evidence-based, and is better aligned with the needs and priorities of provincial and municipal governments, and has a clear and uncluttered funding mechanism. This will bring more public and private projects to the market in a more predictable flow,” said Bassett in a release. “This is good for our industry and good for Canada.”
CCA’s 2021-22 board of directors are:
- Jean François Arbour, president, Groupe SCV;
- Andrew Arnill, operations manager, West-Can Seal Coating Asphalt Products;
- David Bowcott, global director, growth, innovation & insight, AON;
- Rob Carvell, COO, Trane;
- Charles Caza, senior vice-president, general counsel and corporate secretary, Bird Construction;
- Nicole Chabot, vice president, L. Chabot Enterprises Ltd.;
- Leslie Doka, director of construction, Wright Construction;
- Trevor Doucette, vice president stakeholder management, Graham Construction & Engineering;
- Wayne Ferguson, senior vice president, EllisDon Corporation;
- John Flemming, president, Ocean Contractors;
- Nadine Fullarton, president, CANB, Moncton Northeast;
- Eric Gaulin, president & CEO, Telecon;
- Quentin Huillery, COO, Ledcor;
- Russ Kerr, branch general manager, Vipond;
- Branden Kotyk, division manager, Western Canada, Victaulic;
- Patrick Lafrenière, director of projects, Atlantic, JCB Construction Canada;
- John Mollenhauer, president and CEO, Toronto Construction Association;
- Brendan Nobes, director major projects, Rcs; and
- Francis Roy, president, Groupe Humaco.