TORONTO — Crews in the City of Toronto completed a number of major projects across the city over the summer, some on accelerated schedules due to lower traffic volumes, and the city plans to start more work to improve aging water and transportation infrastructure this fall.
To date, the city has completed road resurfacing work on more than 170 local roads and the remainder of the 323 local roads planned for resurfacing work are scheduled to be completed this fall. Toronto is also on-track to complete sewer upgrades on more than 100 streets to protect basements from flooding.
The major projects, some completed between two and eight weeks ahead of schedule, include:
- Richmond Street West from York Street to Bathurst Street, replaced a 146-year-old watermain;
- Don Mills Bridge over the Don Valley Parkway, bridge rehabilitation;
- Jarvis Street from Queen Street East to Front Street East, replaced a watermain that has sections that were 143 years old and 161 years old, road resurfacing and laneway reconstruction;
- Yonge Street from St. Clair Avenue to Woodlawn Avenue, watermain replacement, road resurfacing and laneway reconstruction;
- Church Street at Richmond Street East, replaced a 143-year-old watermain and TTC track requiring a full intersection closure;
- Martin Grove Road from Finch Avenue West to Albion Road, road resurfacing, sidewalk and curb construction;
- Willowdale Avenue from Empress Avenue to Finch Avenue West, road reconstruction;
- Crescent Town Pedestrian Bridge rehabilitation over Victoria Park Avenue and Danforth Avenue; and
- intersection improvements and road resurfacing at Steeles Avenue East at Birchmount Road and at Don Mills Road, new traffic signals and road resurfacing.
Major construction projects slated to begin this fall include:
- King Street West, Queen Street West, Roncesvalles Avenue and the Queensway, intersection reconfiguration, TTC streetcar track replacement, watermain replacement and road improvements including streetscaping, September to August 2022.
- Church Street from Gloucester Street to Park Road, road resurfacing and TTC track removal, from September to December 2020.
- Gerrard Street West from Elizabeth Street to Yonge Street, road resurfacing from September to December 2020.
- Dundas Street West and Howard Park Avenue, full intersection closure for intersection improvements, road and sidewalk construction and TTC track replacement, late September to late October 2020.
- Dundas Street West and College Street intersection, TTC streetcar track allowance reconstruction, road reconstruction and resurfacing, curb realignment and intersection improvements, early-October to late-November 2020.
- Scott Street Pumping Station improvement work, September to January 2021.
Continuing construction on the final phase of the Strategic Rehabilitation of the Gardiner Expressway between Jarvis and Cherry Streets, expected to be completed in Spring 2021.