WELLAND, ONT. — Evertrust Developments has confirmed that a second round of structural damage has occurred at its Upper Vista Welland condo construction site in Welland, Ont.
The first partial collapse of the five-storey building occurred Feb. 18. The 226-unit condo project is under construction at 350 Prince Charles Dr. with completion targeted for later this year.
The second incident occurred Feb. 26.
A release from Evertrust stated, “As Evertrust Developments awaits the Ministry of Labour’s go-ahead to move forward with repairs on their Upper Vista Welland construction site that suffered partial structural damage in the south tower last Saturday, secondary damage occurred today (Sunday, Feb. 26) within the same area. The rest of the building remains intact.” Due to orders from the ministry, no access or work is permitted onsite until a full investigation and reports are received.
“In an effort to move proactively despite the situation, the company has taken the initiative of moving construction machinery on location and are prepared to remediate the building as soon as permitted to do so,” said Evertrust. The company said it has secured the site with a fence border and cautionary signs and has initiated 24-hour onsite security. Neighbours contacted Welland Emergency Fire Services Sunday as fragments continued to detach from the previously damaged area.
“Although there has been a setback with the project, Evertrust…looks forward to taking all necessary protocols to rectifying the current situation as they look forward to completing the sold-out 226-unit project,” stated the developer.
The City of Welland issued an Order to Remedy an Unsafe Building following the original partial collapse.