OTTAWA—The federal government is providing joint funding to transform the Chief William Commanda Bridge into an active transportation corridor for pedestrians, cyclists, linking a network of pathways on both sides of the Ottawa River and connecting the communities of Gatineau and Ottawa.
The project involves the construction of a new timber deck on top of the existing rail track ties, which will create a pathway on the south structure of the bridge, which spans from the Ottawa shore to Lemieux Island, and on the north structure which spans from Lemieux Island to the Gatineau shore, states a release. A steel cable railing system and lighting will be installed and the bridge’s major structural components will be rehabilitated.
The scope of work also includes the construction of three new multi-use path segments linking the south approach of the bridge to the City of Ottawa’s Trillium Pathway, linking the north and south bridge structures across Lemieux Island and linking the north approach to the NCC Voyageurs’ Pathway in Gatineau. New lighting with high efficiency LED light sources will be installed along the pathway as well as about 12 new benches.
The bridge is named after William Commanda who served as Band Chief of the Kitigàn-zìbì Anishinàbeg First Nation from 1951 to 1970 and was an Algonquin elder, spiritual leader and promoter of environmental stewardship.
The Government of Canada is investing over $8.6 million in the project through the Public Transit Infrastructure Stream of the Investing in Canada plan, the City of Ottawa is contributing approximately $13.9 million towards the pathway and the structural integrity of the bridge and its piers.