AMHERSTBURG, ONT. — The official groundbreaking ceremony for Lofts at St. Anthony in Amherstburg, Ont. signifies the transformation of a community landmark.
The building is located at 247 Brock St. next to St. John Baptist Church.
Built in 1911, it was the long-time home of St. Anthony’s School until 1972. It then served as a youth centre, the House of Shalom, until 2020. St. Anthony’s was given the status of an official Heritage Building in Amherstburg in October 2021.
Early in 2021, the structure was purchased by an Amherstburg business family, Terry and Lisa Jones, which recognized the beauty and potential of the building as loft-style condominiums, preserving the historic look and features while modernizing the inside with amenities, indicates a release.
The Rosati Group managed the entire design-build process, worked closely with the heritage committee and is committed to using quality and sustainable materials.
Many original features will remain intact to preserve the landmark’s character, including the stone façade, exposed masonry, wood beams and ceiling heights, states the release, adding classic features will be married with modern finishes.