VANCOUVER – The Vancouver Regional Construction Association (VRCA) celebrated its members best projects on Oct. 17 during the 2023 Awards of Excellence gala with a new president at the helm.
Gold awards went out to one silver award winner in each of the 15 product categories. Previous to the gala, award recipients held a reception on Sept. 27 to honour all 43 silver award winners.
VRCA president Jeannine Martin said her new role as association president is interesting given the years she competed in the awards and that she knows how competitors feel when recognized by their peers.
“I was thinking about the years we won, and the years we lost and certainly the years we won are such a great feeling that it’s hard to compare to a lot of other things. I talk a lot to my son about core memories, and I think it’s a core memory when your industry recognizes you for excellence,” she said.
Martin also praised the awards judges for their work picking the top projects from a strong field of contenders.
“I’ve sat on several adjudication panels in the past and it is a very difficult task. We had 15 awards to give and there were 107 submittals. To narrow that down and pick the best one from that, and you can imagine that it might be easy to move some aside, but there are a lot of fantastic projects to choose from,” she said.
Project-specific awards recognize achievements in industrial, commercial, institutional, multi-family residential and special projects at various cost levels along with manufacturers and suppliers and a heritage award and health and safety awards. Awards were also given out in the Women in Construction, YCL Excellence in Construction, Education Leadership, Innovation and Productivity, and life member inductees.
The 2023 Gold Awards of Excellence winners are as follows:
- Life Member Inductee: Ron Adams, Jason Glue, R. Rick Wagner, Don Wightman
- Construction Workplace Health and Safety: Modern Niagara Vancouver Incorporated – Ergonomics Back in Motions
- Safety Awards: Superior Safety: Canadian Turner Construction Company Ltd., Houle Electric Ltd., Modern Niagara Vancouver Inc., Mott Electric GP, Omicron Construction Ltd., Peter Kiewit Sons ULC, Status Electrical Corporation, Western Pacific Enterprises Ltd.
- Zero Frequency Safety: Ellisdon Corporation, GeoScan Subsurface Surveys, Gisborne Industrial Construction Ltd., Graham Infrastructure Ltd. Graham Construction and Engineering LP, Scott Construction Management Ltd.
- Education Leadership: Matt Heesterman – Canadian Turner Construction
- Woman in Construction: Marsha Gentile – Ledcor Construction Limited
- YCL Excellence in Construction: Michael Pereira – EllisDon Corporation
- Zero Emissions Building: Curtis Hale – EllisDon Corporation
- Innovation and Productivity: Mark Gaglione and Vincent Davenport – EllisDon Corporation for Hybrid Timber Floor System
- Member of the Year: GC – Peak Construction Group, TC – Southwest Contracting Ltd., M&S – Modu-Loc Fence Rentals, PS – Alexander Holburn Beaudin + Lang LLP
- Heritage Award: Haebler Construction Projects Inc. – Yaletown Square
- Manufacturer and Supplier: Wesco Distribution Canada LP – The Post
- Electrical Contractors – Up to $2 million: Western Pacific Enterprises Ltd. – Lafarge Emergency Fire Repairs
- Electrical Contractors – $2 million to $8 million: Centre Electric Ltd. – Discovery Building – Delta Q Technologies
- Electrical Contractors – Over $8 million: Western Pacific Enterprises Ltd. – Vancouver Post Office Redevelopment
- Mechanical Contractors – Up to $1 million: Pacific Flo Mechanical – Trulioo M2 Tenant Improvement
- Mechanical Contractors – $1-$5 million: Black & McDonald Limited – Lions Gate Hospital – High Acuity Unit Renovation
- Mechanical Contractors – Over $5 million: True Mechanical – TRIUMF – The Institute for Advanced Medical Isotopes (IAMI)
- Trade Contractor Up to $2 million: RTI Industrial Ltd.- Gateway Casino Cascades Delta
- Trade Contractor $2 – $4 million: Scorpio Masonry BC Inc. – Apple Pacific Centre
- Trade Contractor Over $4 million: Phoenix Glass Inc – The Workshop
- General Contractor – Up to $10 million Canadian: Turner Construction Company Ltd.- Trulioo M2 Tenant Improvement
- General Contractor – Over $10 million: PCL Constructors Westcoast Inc.- Apple Pacific Centre
- General Contractor – Up to $20 million: Vancouver Pile Driving Ltd. – English Bay Barge
- General Contractor $20 – $70 million: PCL Constructors Westcoast Inc.- Fibreco Silos Repair & Replacement
- General Contractor – Over $70 million: Centennial Expansion Partners (Dragados Canada, Fraser River Pile & Dredge and Jacob Bros Construction) – Centerm Expansion Project and South Shore Access Project