TORONTO—The Agincourt Community Recreation Centre in east Toronto officially reopened July 11 following extensive work to repair damage resulting from a fire in January 2019.
There were no injuries during the fire but the roof and other areas of the community recreation centre were extensively damaged. Managers concluded extensive reconstruction work was required to ensure public safety.
Repairs and improvements completed as part of reconstruction work include a new timber roof, shingles and windows, woods-inspired cedar panelling on the pool exterior, a painted building exterior, rooftop chiller and basement boilers, fire dampers, fire pump and back-up generator, as well as a new HVAC system.
There were also upgrades to the existing courtyard with the installation of a new concrete patio and interlocking pavers.
At the community centre, there was new lighting installed, new window treatments, flooring and counter surfaces, a new Lions Club dedicated kitchen and improvements to the existing teaching kitchen, new washroom partitions, increased community and office space, and new dance hall flooring and equipment.
At the pool there was a pool slide installed with freshed tile in the tower access, improved insulation and wood panelling features, new windows, upgraded change rooms and the replacement of the chlorine gas pool sanitizing system with a more efficient liquid chlorine model.
The arena facilities were reopened for ice programming in September 2019 and the recreation centre opened its doors for public use of washrooms and showers beginning in April 2021, after being closed to the public for approximately two years.
Toronto Mayor John Tory stated, “The Agincourt Community Recreation Centre has been a hub in the community for years, and the fire in 2019 impacted the lives of many. I want to thank everyone involved in not only adapting over the past two years to keep services open and moving at other centres for the Agincourt community, but for reimagining this new centre that is fully equipped and prepared to open its doors when public health guidelines allow.”