NEW-WES-VALLEY, N.L. — The Government of Canada is spending $25.8 million in harbour infrastructure improvements at 12 harbours throughout Bonavista-Burin-Trinity in Newfoundland.
Coastal communities across Canada are supported by small craft harbours that provide the commercial fishing industry with safe and accessible facilities, explained a release from Fisheries and Oceans Canada.
Several harbours have been identified for improvements including:
- major wharf reconstruction at Valleyfield Harbour, Musgrave Harbour and Fortune;
- facilities will be repaired and divested to local non-for-profit organizations in Port Blandford and Deadman’s Bay;
- essential safety-related repairs are slated for Newman’s Cove;
- site clean-ups of derelict/unsafe facilities are planned for Bonavista (Mockbeggar wharf), Bragg’s Island, Frenchman’s Cove (Fortune Bay) and New Chelsea;
- ongoing multi-year wharf and breakwater reconstruction work is being completed at Bay de Verde; and
- ongoing multi-year wharf reconstruction work is being completed in Grand Bank.